This week I received in an interesting error from a co-worker about an error importing an Excel file into Data Visualization Desktop as a Data Source. I also got the same error as her, which was the following:
When “More Detail” was clicked, I see the following error details:
I was a bit stumped, so I tried a few things without luck:
· Shortening the file name…perhaps the file name was too long (the original one was even longer than the one exampled above)
· Checking the original file
o The original file had filters in place, I removed them
o The original file had hyperlinks, I removed them
· Finally, I copied and pasted as text to a new worksheet
I took a closer look at the error and saw it had to do with the column “Event Name”. Thinking it could be, perhaps, a reserved name, I changed the column to “EventName”. Still the same error. I looked closer at the error and saw a weird character at the end of the column name then some space after the name and before the quotes:
In the original file, I realized there was a tab after the column name.
Once I removed this from “Event Name” (and each of the other, remaining columns), I was able to import the file without issue.